How margin trading works
Borrow to buy stock
Purchase more shares than you could with just the available cash in your account, based on your eligible collateral
The potential reward
If the stock price goes up, your earnings are amplified because you hold more shares
Weighing the risk
If the stock price moves against you, you could lose more than your initial investment
The E*TRADE margin advantage
Spot and seize potential opportunities with powerful tools, specialized support, and competitive margin rates
- Advanced margin tools and real-time updates let you manage your trading with precision
- Have questions? Get answers fast from dedicated specialists who know margin trading inside and out.
- Keep trading costs low with competitive margin interest rates.
Powerful tools and insights
We give you the tools and resources to make fully informed decisions about using margin
- Margin Analyzer Tool: All-in-one dashboard to monitor margin requirements for different positions
- Margin Calculator Tool: Create what-if scenarios to explore the potential outcomes of different transactions
- Requirements search: Different trades have different margin requirements. Look them up with just a few clicks.
- Risk Slide Tool: Analyze your portfolio across a range of conditions. Use the grid and the graph within the tool to visualize potential profit and loss.
More leverage with portfolio margin
Sophisticated traders can increase their buying power and lower their margin requirements with portfolio margin
- Margin requirements are based on the overall risk of your entire portfolio, not just individual positions
- Enjoy dedicated support from experienced margin and derivatives specialists who share your passion for trading
- Available to experienced traders with Level 4 options approval and $100,000 or more in account equity
- Download applications
Personal Portfolio Margin Application
Business Portfolio Margin Application
or call 800-998-8079 to speak to a representative